EE3-11 Advanced Electronic DevicesLecturer(s): Dr Kristel Fobelets
1) To give insight in recent developments in semiconductor devices
2) To familiarise the student with the use of band diagrams to explain the physical processes in semiconductor devices and their relation to the output characteristics
3) To give insight in the changes that happen to the physical processes in MOSFETs caused by agressive downscaling
4) To give insight in double gating solutions to the downscaling problem
5) To introduce the student to nanotubes and -wires for use in electro-optical applications
6) To give insight into the current fabrication technology and give an introduction into nano-scale metrology
1) Predict the device characteristics from the band diagram and calculate the characteristics given the geometry and material parameters of the device.
2) Be able to read technical papers in the field of semiconductor devices design and applications with a general understanding of the subject
3) Make a device choice for different applications
4) Be able to optimise/design current and novel devices
- Energy band diagrams as a route to understand semiconductor devices
- Processing: how is it done?
- what are the consequences of aggressive downscaling of FETs?
- Discussion and comparison of different Field Effect Transistors: JFET, GaAs MESFET, Si:SiGe MODFET and GaAs/InGaAs HEMT
- Strain as an extra parameter to engineer devices
- Optimising the "classical BJT" using a combination of different materials: HBT
- Quantum mechanics and how is it used in semiconductor devices. An example: the resonant tunnelling diode
- SOI, SGOI, sSOI, novel substrates for better device performance
- double/triple gating option to keep control on nano-scale FETs
- Carbon nanotubes, Si nanowires: devices for the future?
100% on 3-hour exam in early Spring Term
Coursework contribution: 0%
Closed or Open Book (end of year exam): Closed
To be announced
Oral Exam Required (as final assessment): N/A
Prerequisite: None required
Course Homepage: http://bb.imperial.ac.uk